Nio, I agree now is the time to get the conversation started; don't wait until UOS. You should certainly plan on having a discussion at UOS, but I would start the discussion now. You'll want to talk to the -desktop folks as you are really asking about replacing a default application. I would think feature parity amongst other things would be important to them. Plus documentation changes, etc. The sooner you get notice to everyone, the better chance you will have with this. Good luck!

Nicholas