Hi,

On 2015-10-23 03:50 PM, Nicholas Skaggs wrote:
> On 10/21/2015 12:08 PM, Nio Wiklund wrote:
>> Hi Nicholas and Marc,

Whoops, sorry for not replying earlier, I didn't notice the thread.

>> *Date and time*
>>
>> Wednesday would be the best day for me, and Thursday the second best day
>> and Tuesday is not good at all.
>>
>> I don't know how to arrange a session, so I would rely on you to make it
>> possible and book a time slot.
> http://summit.ubuntu.com/getinvolved/propose-a-session/. You want a discussion
> session. I can help if it's still confusing, but see below. Sounds like you
> might not want a session anymore.
>>
>> *Content*
>>
>> Now that you, Marc, have started the work to revamp the SDC by
>> simplifying it, and at the same time stating that none of the
>> alternative installers can be accepted, I'm not sure what to discuss in
>> such a session. Maybe something along these lines:
> Seems you have some things to discuss, but it doesn't have to be a session if
> you don't want it to be. Since we've settled on not changing the default, the
> impact is certainly lessened and indeed there is less to discuss. It's up to
> you. We should start a new thread to discuss your questions though if you want
> to go that route. Perhaps a status from Marc would help also.

I did work on SDC before I went on holiday. I haven't looked at it since I came
back, but I believe it was usable. I ripped out all the unused code, and it now
simply copies the image to the USB device, which should make it reliable and
able to work with all the different flavours.

I'll try and get it packaged in a PPA early next week if anyone wants to test
it.

>> Can we decide to make the SDC reliable by removing its ability to create
>> persistent live drives?
>>
>> 1. As a temporary solution to make it work again

I think this is the best solution for now, and if everyone is in agreement, I
think I'll ask that it gets uploaded to Xenial.

>> 2. In the long perspective
>>
>> 2.1. Should persistence be added afterwards, when a reliable method is
>> found (for example the method, that was developed by Andre Rodovalho and
>> modified by me in mkusb)?
>>
>> 2.2. Or is it enough that the SDC is creating 'live-only' pendrives?
>> Users who want persistent live pendrives, can be adviced to use one of
>> the available alternatives (but they will not be included in Ubuntu).
> I think I'm in this camp. Keep the default as simple as possible. More
> usage can advocate other tools. And there's no reason they can be packaged in
> the ubuntu archives so they are easy to get.

I think recommending an alternative such as mkusb is probably the best solution
too, but I don't have any objection if someone wants to add a persistence mode
back in SDC...perhaps as a non-default option (maybe even requiring it to be
launched with a command line option for it to show up in the GUI...).

Marc.