Nicholas,

What I see when I execute this:

pango-view --font="Ubuntu 48" --markup --text='<span fallback="false">
The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.</span>'

is (all on one line):

   1. 0.830 in very small text
   2. something that looks like 88 on a 7-segment display
   3. a space
   4. The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.

So just to be super-clear, I don't see a ".84" in that string.  I also
don't see it in the text of this e-mail; what I see looks a single glyph
whose strokes make 0.830 in very small letters.

I had an inspiration and checked with my font view application.  It tells
me my Ubuntu font is:

Name: Ubuntu

Style: Regular

Type: TrueType font

Version: 0.83

Copyright: Copyright 2011 Canonical Ltd. Licensed under the Ubuntu Font
License 1.0

Does this mean I don't have the new version?