You are the one who behaves like a troll here. I talk about serious
critical issues, and you systematically reply with jokes.

So LTS... yeah right.

1) As if LTSs worked significantly better
2) sticking to an LTS for 2 f***ing years means sticking to tremendously
obsolete software, usually full of bugs that have already been fixed
upstream (by the way that is usually already true when the ubuntu release
is brand new, let alone two years later),
3) 16.04 actually *is* LTS, and upgrading to it has broken my system. Or
are you implying that those who made the "mistake" to upgrade to a non-LTS
are to be punished forever, by having their computer bricked even when
trying to "correct" their mistake by upgrading to the LTS?
4) That a release is not LTS doesn't mean that it is not even supposed to
be barely usable and safe. And especially, that you shouldn't be able to
upgrade OUT of it.

If your approach to issues that make Ubuntu unusable is in any way
representative of how Ubuntu is maintained, that would explain the whole
thing.

I guess my biggest mistake was to choose ubuntu in the first place. I'll
have to try OpenSUSE.

By the way,
To the millions of people experiencing the same problem, in case they may
find this message by googling, I fixed the issue by running:
  apt-get install -f