On Fri, May 31, 2019 at 10:52 PM Teo Tei <teo8...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I started reading the bug, and completely lost interest when I notice
>> the tone used in the description.
>>
>> --
>

> How is that? Seriously, please explain it to me because I don't understand
> it, and it fascinates me every single time (yeah, because it's not the first
> time).

No, it is not the first time, We have been thru that dance a few times
before. And, most of the times, you would end up moderated. And... You
would register yourself again to the mailing list under a slightly
different name. And keep on the same behaviour. Which is, everywhere,
called "mod-evading." Which is usually frowned upon.

As you were told many times, at Ubuntu we have a Code of Conduct [1].
Being nice to others is expected; if you cannot be nice, at least be
neutral.

> How exactly does the tone of a particular person describing an issue affect
> how much you care about the issue, which obviously does not affect only that
> person but potentially every single user?

See the Code of Conduct [1].

> I really don't get it. I understand you can care about a particular issue
> more or less based on how much it affects you, for example, or how serious
> you consider it to be for users in general, or how likely you are to be able
> to contribute  yourself to fixing it, or simply your personal interests and
> tastes.

Absolutely correct, and I absolutely accept that.

> And I also understand how you can find the tone of a user complaining about
> an issue more or less appropiate, agreeable, or acceptable.

Yes. You KNOW that. Again, apart from any other interaction you had
with Ubuntu, you know because you have been told many times about it.

> But I don't see how on earth one thing would affect the other. I try to put
> myself in your position: I imagine I am reading about some malfunctioning of
> some software which I'm generally interested in in some way (because I often
> contribute to it, or because I'm a user myself, or for whatever reason,
> otherwise I wouldn't be reading a bug report in the first place). Now I
> imagine the report is written in a way  I don't like (maybe I find it
> offensive or something, I don't know,  just guessing), let's even say I'm
> getting the impression that the person writing the bug report is a total
> ***hole, I hate that guy, he even *deserves* to be suffering from the issue!
> However, I don't see how that would cause me to care any less about the issue
> itself. Personally, if anything, it could only make me care more, given it
> would demonstrate how frustrating it can be to users suffering from it. Or
> not, but in the worst case, it would make no difference whatsoever.

Why would I help somebody that, from the start, is aggressive (as far
as I understand it)? My experience is it *rarely* ends in a good way.
And,  a long time ago, I decided I did not need to deal with these
situations.

> I would really love to learn about your thought process, understand this
> connection between how a bug report is written (specifically the "tone": not
> even the quality or quantity of the information contained in it) and how
> anybody should care about that bug. Again, it fascinates me. It's a mystery.

It is a simple thought process. I am a volunteer. I help on Ubuntu
because I like Ubuntu. And I have been thru many other distros in all
the years I have used Linux. Ubuntu was the *first* one (apart from
all other merits) that actually stated it would be good for all if
everybody were to be nice (I accept neutral) to each other. For the
record, while I was actually working as tech support, whenever we
received a bug report like yours we would *immediately* report it to
the OP's management. This was an order from our top management.

So I am picky. I can understand if an OP slips and gets aggressive
once, perhaps twice. But you have a LONG story of being aggressive
from start, and keeping on it. So I allow myself to completely
disregard you *while* you keep off the CoC.

*You* think you can disrespect others (and the whole idea of the CoC).
*I* think I can disregard folks like you.

It is not a mystery. People are different. For you, being not nice
seems to be a way of living. For me, being nice also seems to be a way
of living. Also, just as an aside, you might get a better response to
your bug if re-word it in a nice way. There are many ways to state you
have unhappy. NONE need to be aggressive, in tone or words.

I note, just for the record, that I *am* answering you. But only
because you kept a civil discourse.

Cheers,

..C..

[1] https://www.ubuntu.com/community/code-of-conduct