On Wed, Jan 17 2024 at 21:09:58 -0500, Sergio Durigan Junior <sergi...@ubuntu.com> wrote:
On Wednesday, January 17 2024, Christopher James Halse Rogers wrote:

 Hi there!

Hey, Chris,

Thanks for the review.

 On Sat, Jan 13 2024 at 00:08:35 -0500, Sergio Durigan Junior
 <sergio.duri...@canonical.com> wrote:
 Hello,
 In the same spirit as Christian's formal request for an SRU
 exception
 for open-vm-tools, Athos and I would like to formally request the
 approval of the PostgreSQL MRE wiki page.
We (the Server team) have been doing such MREs for a number of years now, but it came to our attention recently that we don't actually have the MRE policy for PostgreSQL formally defined in a wiki page, as is
 usual for more recent packages.
 I don't know much about the history behind why such page doesn't
 exist,
 but we would like to fix it by proposing the following document:
   https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PostgreSQLUpdates

 It looks like a good documentation of current practice, and current
 practice looks (mostly) good.

 A couple of questions:

 * Checking the PostgreSQL policy, they say that a pg_dump/restore
cycle between minor updates is *normally* not needed. Has it *ever* been needed in the past? Presumably we would not take such an update
   (at least, not under this MRE)?

Athos and I have been doing this MRE for a bit more than a year now, and so far we have never seen a situation where a pg_dump/restore cycle was needed. I'm Cc'ing Christian, who used to handle the MREs before us, in
case he knows something more.

* I notice a number of the updates are of the form “Fix FROB index. If you have any FROB indexes, you must run FROBINATE REINDEX to get the fixes”. How do we notify users of this? It's in the changelog, which
   is not nothing, and a debconf notice would be *way* too
disruptive. Is there anywhere else we should be pushing such “you
   really should check this” notifications?

That's a good question.  My default answer for such scenarios tends to
be "let's put it in a d/NEWS file", but I appreciate the fact that not
everybody will have apt-listchanges installed.  Nonetheless, maybe
that's a good compromise between having the entries buried in the
changelog vs. having a debconf notice.  WDYT?

Ooooh, yes. d/NEWS would definitely be an improvement!