On Tuesday, January 23 2024, Christopher James Halse Rogers wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 18 2024 at 11:21:18 -0500, Sergio Durigan Junior
> <sergi...@ubuntu.com> wrote:
>> On Thursday, January 18 2024, Christopher James Halse Rogers wrote:

>>>  Ooooh, yes. d/NEWS would definitely be an improvement!
>> Cool.
>> Just to clarify: does this mean that this request is approved
>> pending
>> the d/NEWS addition to the wiki page?
>
> I'd like an answer to the other question before approving - what
> happens if a pg_dump/pg_restore cycle *is* required across a minor
> update. Presumably the answer is “that update will not fall under this
> MRE”, but we should document both that decision and how we expect to
> pick up when this would apply.

OK, that is a good question.

I thought about it yesterday, and my answer here pretty much aligns with
what you expected.  But let me give a little bit of context first.

It's important to say that, to the best of my knowledge, there has *not*
been any PostgreSQL minor release that required a pg_dump/pg_restore
cycle ever since we started doing these MREs.  And that, I believe, is
for a good reason: upstream must know that they would be shooting
themselves in the foot in case they required such drastic measure from
their users.  And I must say that upstream seems pretty reasonable to
me, given my interactions with them for the past 3 years (give or take).
So, IMHO, the chances of us seeing such a requirement in a minor release
are very, very low.

On top of that, let me assure you that Athos and I (and the whole Server
team, if I'm being honest) would straight out refuse to proceed with the
MRE if we saw a breaking change/operation like this being required.
There is just no way to guarantee the data integrity of our users'
databases in such case, so having this being part of a LTS release is a
no-no from our standpoint.

Therefore, in a nutshell: if PostgreSQL upstream ever requires a
pg_dump/pg_restore cycle to be performed as part of a minor release
update, then that update will not fall under this MRE.

> Once that has a satisfactory answer, yes, it looks good to approve to
> me.

Hopefully my answer is enough, but please let me know if you'd like more
details.

BTW, I will take the liberty of updating the wiki page to reflect the
answer above, and also to include the d/NEWS requirement as previously
discussed.

Cheers,

--
Sergio
GPG key ID: E92F D0B3 6B14 F1F4 D8E0  EB2F 106D A1C8 C3CB BF14