I fear there are even more distinctions to be drawn in addition to
desktop-server.

I use Ubuntu on both shared and dedicated servers. The shared servers
offer special security challenges. I've been working through php
security on a shared server and it is a nightmare. The paranoid
php.ini is useful as an example of what can be done but without some
compromise, PHP websites will break. I have recently worked through
conversion from ImageMagick through "system" calls to GD which
permitted me to disable several "shell" functions.

Preventing users from harmful uploads on a shared server is almost
impossible so I am reduced to trying to prevent them from running
harmful uploads.

I can envision a need for separate channels for shared servers,
gateway boxes, fileservers, etc.

Jim Tarvid