Joe Brouhard wrote:

> I'm going to take a crack at this, but the Server Devs can probably
> shoot me if I get this wrong...

bang, bang :)

> RHEL is a "paid for" system.  Nearly all of their developers and
> package maintainers are on payroll, so they're paid to maintain those
> repos.

RHEL is free (as in no price), RHN isn't.

> Ubuntu, on the other hand, is almost entirely comprised of volunteers.
>  Maintaining multiple repos is time-consuming (Running my own local
> repo is time consuming by itself), and a lot of the devs don't have
> that much time on hand.

There is no black and white in open source development model. There are
devs paid to work on RedHat/Ubuntu and there are devs that get paid by
providing services based on RedHat/Ubuntu. There are also devs work in
areas unrelated to Linux or even computers. You can find those both in
RedHat and Ubuntu.

> Apples and Oranges to me.

Right. Both are fruit, so in a way are exactly the same.

> The easy way to tell 3 years to 5 year support is LTS Support.  LTS
> support means more than 3 years.  Unless it says LTS, you're going to
> get 3 years of support and end up upgrading every couple of months.
> At least, that's what I think.. The devs can shoot me if I got this
> wrong ;)

As other said, this isn't correct.

List of programs with 5 year support in 6.06 is here:

http://people.ubuntu.com/~ubuntu-archive/seeds/ubuntu-server.dapper/server