I've had servers on the Internet since 1995 and they are getting
beaten constantly. Some script kiddie will hit us eventually, post it
on a list and then the gusanos  are all over the place.

I am not complaining about Dapper LTS nor Feisty. Feisty is doing well
for us. I am saying that life on the 'net is forever changing and
attachment to stability is a cause of suffering. Stability in
illusory.

Let me suggest a chain of sets using PHP as an example.

1) start with the universe of bugs and vulnerabilities
2) unless you have extraordinary resources, the known bugs are (for
the most part) represented by CVE+MOPB
3) PHP maintainers go after a subset leaving CVE+MOPB-PHP hanging in the wind
4) Debian will merge some of the patches into previous versions but
some will not make it.
5) Ubuntu will take some of the patches from upstream but some will
clash with local (Ubuntu) fixes

(Almost make sense of remarks by a former US Secretary of War.)

Of necessity, LTS implies an ever increasing subset of CVE+MOPB. In
other words, LTS implies an ever growing set of known bugs and
vulnerabilities.

In the end, it is a matter of faith and trust and I place mine in
"current" rather than LTS.

Jim Tarvid