I'm a frequent user of Ubuntuguide. In fact, that's all I use. It is too time
-consuming and difficult to navigate the Official Ubuntu Wiki.

I agree that much of the  information is wrong, out of date, and dangerous. So
I changed it. Anyone can, you know.

I have now edited at least 25% of the guide.

Why don't I contribute to the official Wiki? There's enough people doing that,
and on Ubuntuguide I don't have to fight with them. Ubuntuguide is more like
Wikipedia (where I contribute regularly) -- any expert can contribute, not just
the self-proclaimed experts (who may not really be the experts).

Besides, Ubuntu has to be careful about what it espouses as its official
instructions, especially regarding proprietary software. Should the official
Ubuntu wiki espouse downloading w32codecs? Probably not.

Ubuntuguide is not as constrained as to what information it ought or ought not
to provide.

Ubuntuguide harmful? Maybe. But a lot of Debian developers consider Ubuntu
harmful. Ubuntu developers/documentationistas ought not to cast stones.

The same debate occurred over Wikipedia. Encyclopedists claimed that Wikipedia
was not very accurate. But a Harvard study showed that Wikipedia was just as
accurate as any encyclopedia (turns out there's an awful lot of mistakes and
misinformation in the average encyclopedia).

When you allow every expert to contribute freely, the truth will evolve.

Ubuntuguide may be harmful from time to time, but it evolves with the right
information, just as Wikipedia does.