On 05/03/08 14:21, Nick Webb wrote:
> Hi All -
>
> I posted this question to the ubuntu-users list perviously, but this
> seems like the proper list to post to (I just discovered this list).
>
> I've got a couple projects coming up that will have a file systems >=
> 2TB and I'm thinking of using XFS for it.  Main feature of XFS I need is
> the lack of fsck at startup (fsck for ext2/3 will take many hours with a
> 2TB partition).  The file system will also likely have many large files,
> so XFS seems to be a good choice for this as well.
>
> Can anyone share their XFS experiences on Ubuntu Dapper?  Is it as
> stable as ext3 in your experience?  Any tips/tricks/gotchas?  Any other
> file systems I should look at (JFS, ReiserFS, etc.)?
>
> I posed the same question to other Linux users I know, and there was a
> mix of "I've had no problems" to "I stuck with ext3, it's solid and I
> know I can trust it, despite the horrible fsck times."  I'm really
> curious to get other opinions, especially with the shipped binaries on
> Dapper, as we only use LTS for production machines.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Nick

I've read many of the responses you received and I wondered something else.

I don't know what kind of data set you have that requires >2TB
partitions, but another route to travel would be multiple smaller
partitions that you each check on a regular basis. Unmount the
partition, fsck it, then remount it.

--
Onno Benschop

Connected via Optus B3 at S31°54'06" - E115°50'39" (Yokine, WA)
--
()/)/)()        ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>?            ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. ---   ..Morse for Onno..

ITmaze   -   ABN: 56 178 057 063   -  ph: 04 1219 8888   -   [EMAIL PROTECTED]