On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 05:45:33PM -0700, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> Background for Marjo and Brian:
>
> We had been tracking bugs relating to our EC2 images on an "ubuntu-on-ec2"
> project, and are moving away from that to file them on the appropriate
> Ubuntu packages instead, with a tag to group them (very similar to the
> migration we did for UNR recently).
>
> On Wed, Sep 09, 2009 at 08:18:09PM -0700, Eric Hammond wrote:
> >
> > I used to send folks here to report bugs running Ubuntu on EC2:
> >
> >   https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-on-ec2/+bugs
> >
> > Where should they go in the new bug structure?
>
> Bugs should be reported using the ubuntu-bug tool, following the
> instructions at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs
>
> Bugs should be reported from the running instance where the problem exists
> wherever possible, as ubuntu-bug will automatically collect the relevant
> information and submit it to Launchpad to aid in diagnosis.
>
> Doing this does not yet automatically tag the bug with ec2-images, but but
> this is something we intend to do.

Additionally, if there is some item in apport output that would show up
in the bug description that would identify these as coming from an ec2
image (like the kernel version?) we could then go back and tag these
appropriately.

> > It seems unlikely that EC2 users will know what package is causing their
> > problem.
>
> There is a guide linked from the above which helps identify which package is
> at fault.  I don't think it covers EC2-specific infrastructure yet, but it
> probably should.
>
> > How do I find all bugs tagged with "ec2-images' no matter what package
> > they are assigned to?  This doesn't work:
> >
> >   https://bugs.launchpad.net/+bugs?field.tag=ec2-images
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bugs?field.tag=ec2-images
>
> > Should all Ubuntu on EC2 bugs be filed against "ubuntu"?
> >
> >   https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bugs?field.tag=ec2-images
>
> Wherever possible, they should be filed against the appropriate package.  If
> that cannot be determined, then filing
>
> > It seems more complicated to have to tell people reporting bugs to open
> > the "Extra Options" and add a tag of "ec2-images".
>
> We will make this happen automatically when using ubuntu-bug.  Until then,
> it's also possible to craft a +filebug URL which pre-fills the tags field.
> I don't have an example to hand, but Brian should be able to help with this.

A +filebug url with field.tags=ec2-images appended will do the trick.  For
example:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/zpkg/+filebug?field.tags=ec2-images

will have the tag ec2-images added to it.

> > Perhaps we should have a wiki page with complete instructions on how to
> > file a problem with Ubuntu on EC2 including things like "Report the AMI
> > id of the image you are running".
>
> Extending the above resource would be the best way to do this.

I'm somewhat concerned about making the ReportingBugs wiki page longer
than it already is and possibly discouraging people from reading it.

--
Brian Murray                                                 @ubuntu.com