I second this.

I am attempting (unsuccessfully) to get an Open LDAP setup so that I can
perform authentication across systems and services.

It would be ideal if there were an easy way to setup LDAP and via some basic
questions, get you up an running.

I'm all for helping out on such an endevour (from the "what I need it to do"
department and not the technical of LDAP.. which I am weak on).

> On Sat, Apr 24, 2010 at 9:24 AM, Veli-Matti Lintu <
>
> veli-matti.li...@opinsys.fi> wrote:
> > > Lähettäjä: "Jos Boumans" <jos.boum...@canonical.com>
> > >
> > > with the Lucid release cycle nearing its completion, it's
> > > time to start looking forward to our next release: Maverick
> > > Meerkat.
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > Are there plans regarding ldap/kerberos user management and
> > authentication? Launchpad has quite a few old blueprints around these,
> > but I haven't been able to find information about long term plans.
>
> I would like to propose a blueprint for a base directory setup tool based
> on the OpenLDAP-DIT project: https://launchpad.net/openldap-dit.  The
> current branch adds schemas and objects for DNS, DHCP, etc and these may
> be more work than I have time for.
>
> As many have noted there is a need for a tool/process to get a base
> directory created for those users who don't know a lot about LDAP.  As a
> starting place using a simpler version of the openldap-dit-setup.sh script
> that just creates the base DC, OUs, admin user, etc is a reasonable goal
> for Maverick.
>
> I know directory services are not a hugely high priority for the full time
> members of the Server Team, but are of great interest to many of the same
> members.  I should have time this cycle to work on such a blueprint to
> hopefully have an easier way to get starting using OpenLDAP on Ubuntu
> Server.
>
> Please let me know your ideas and if this is a worth while project for a
> community member.
Roderick B. Greening, B.Sc.
Paradise, NL Canada
E-mail/MSN: roderick.green...@gmail.com