On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 11:35 AM, Scott Kitterman <ubu...@kitterman.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday, August 11, 2010 11:28:28 am Mathias Gug wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Excerpts from Dan Sheffner's message of Wed Aug 11 11:14:04 -0400 2010:
>> > I guess the only question I have is where do I ask questions about the
>> > KVM hypervisor, virsh, and vmbuilder commands? #ubuntu-server or
>> > #ubuntu-cloud? it would nice to have one room like #ubuntu-vm  for
>> > virtual machines that would include xen, kvm, virsh, virtualbox,
>> > eucalyptus, etc.
>>
>> As outlined in the proposal:
>>
>>   1) Development discussion happens in #ubuntu-devel
>>      * e.g. packaging, patching, debugging, development, etc.
>>
>>   2) Traditional server discussion happens in #ubuntu-server
>>      * e.g. running Ubuntu on your server hardware or in a * virtual
>>        machine, getting it installed, configuration/management of
>>        services, virtualization, etc.
>>
>>   3) New-age cloud server discussion happens in #ubuntu-cloud
>>      * e.g. running UEC private clouds, running Ubuntu * in EC2, cloud
>>        work loads, ensemble cloud magic, etc.
>>
>> #ubuntu-server seems the appropriate place to ask questions about KVM,
>> virsh and vmbuilder.
>
> I missed in the original proposal that development is now off topic in
> #ubuntu-
> server.  I object to this change.  #ubuntu-server has been a joint
> developer/user channel for a very long time now.  It's the one place in the
> Ubuntu project where users and developers are on the same channels (yes, some
> developers are on user channels, to help, but that's different).  We discussed
> this very change not very long ago and the consensus was not to change it.
>
> I feel like this change was slipped in with other changes about IRC channel
> consolidation and should have been (re) discussed separately (although
> honestly I don't see the need to revisit the discussion so soon).

Scott,

I don't think anything really changes in #ubuntu-server, from a
development discussion perspective.  There's plenty of
development-related conversations that will continue in
#ubuntu-server, perfectly on-topic.  No one is getting kicked/banned
from there, and no one should get slapped on the wrist for talking
devel (in my opinion).

I read Ahmed's proposition to really be about consolidating
cloud/virt/ensemble/ec2 channels into one -- simplifying the landscape
for those of us subscribed to all 4 and unraveling the maze for our
users seeking cloud-related support.

The previous recent discussion you refer to, I think, was about
splitting #ubuntu-server and #ubuntu-server-devel.  As I remember it,
we, as a community, n'acked the creation/separation to
#ubuntu-server-devel, as we didn't want to divorce ourselves from our
user support channel.  I still agree with that sentiment, and I think
that's unchanged even in Ahmed's IRC realignment suggestion.

Cheers,
:-Dustin