The IP-adresses are bought from an organisation with a lot of IPs given to
them either by a RIR (Regional Internet Registries, eg. RIPE) or directly by
IANA. The whole thing with "no more IP-addresses" is that IANA no longer
have any IP-addresses they wish to allocate to the public Internet - there
is still a couple of million of them reserved for "future"/local usage, but
in the long run, we still have to migrate to IPv6. RIPE has some more
information about this on their website[1].

Setting up virtual servers can be made fully-automatically and doesn't
require that much off the hardware, so these "root"-access machines (most
often dedicated/VPSs) is getting quite common nowadays, since the pricing
between VPSs (out of the head.. beginning on as little as $250/yr is not
that far off from better webhosts, at approx $100/yr).

The exhaustion is mostly IANAs fault - the amount off addresses was
insufficient for a global network to which *everyone* connects. To blame the
web hosts is quite wrong, as the ISPs also tend to "lend" out IP-addresses
to every single household/cellphone that connects to the Internet and also
haven't really cared about the problem (profit?) even as IANA actually have
told them to start swapping the last 10 years.. Vint Cerf[2], nowadays Chief
Internet Evangelist at Google is often very quick to say something like "I
made a mistake when I was in the group that decided how IPv4 should be built
up, let's correct it with IPv6, sure, 4.3 billion addresses is a lot of them
in 1990 - but it proved to be insufficient as the Internet grew.. my bad!"
(not accurate quote)

Having a single customer/IP-address can often be practically for companies,
as you then can say that "Yes, anything from this IP-address is ours, it's
ours and ours only", for example - to verify that a mail is from the correct
sender (most companies doesn't use GPG-signatures or similar), you can check
the IP-address against a DNS-server to verify the probability of the of the
sender being the sender.

(Also, if you need 10 million IPv4-addresses, you should probably contact a
RIR directly as that is a LOT of addresses, if it's IPv6 you want, no
worries.. there's plenty of them :D)

[1] http://www.ripe.net/internet-coordination/ipv4-exhaustion
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vint_Cerf
--