1. Trying to have a network with a server acting as Primary Domain Controller
(using Linux) that every other computer can save/retrieve/edit Libre Office
docs
and pictures to.  File sharing.  Not peer to peer

2. Also need to be able to access printers/scanners/etc. on any computer from
any other computer on network.

I am trying to use SWAT but not very successfully.  This is a very small
network
and a lot of advice on the net is for much larger networks.  Also, I am leaving
the one Windows machine on the network because it is the only one that can
"see"/access the others.

Don't know if this helps but the host I'm on right now has this
/etc/samba/smb.conf file:

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from UNKNOWN (127.0.0.1)
# Date: 2011/05/30 16:25:41

[global]
        workgroup = DOMAIN
        realm = JOE.OFFICE.COM
        server string = %h server (Samba, Ubuntu)
        security = DOMAIN
        map to guest = Bad User
        obey pam restrictions = Yes
        pam password change = Yes
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
        passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n
*Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
        unix password sync = Yes
        syslog = 0
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 1000