On Thu, 2013-06-06 at 12:22 +0100, Evan Dandrea wrote:

> You probably don't see reports of these because any process that drops
> privileges does not produce a core dump. I really want to turn this
> on, making the reports owned by root. Kees sounded okay with it about
> a year ago and was going to look into it
> (/proc/sys/kernel/setuid_dumpable to 2), but I don't think he ever
> found the time.
>
> I can bring this back up with the security team.

FYI, I think after you left IRC the other night he said that this is
fine today.  You should really move back to a real timezone :-)

> Recoverable problems. We created /usr/share/apport/recoverable_problem
> for applications that can handle an exception, but would still like to
> know that it occurred. Often, this may be that the exception was
> handled but the experience is degraded as a result, so on the desktop
> is produces a popup as well.
>
> All developers have to do is feed it nul-separated key-value pairs
> over stdin, ensuring they provide a DuplicateSignature field. Right
> now it works off the ppid, but I believe Ted Gould was patching it to
> support the pid to trace being passed in.
>
> You could patch applications to use this, as Ted is doing with glib.

Turns out I didn't need to be able to pass the PID, or at least I
haven't needed to yet.

For those that don't know, in GLib there is a command set of commands
that are called critical errors, they don't block the process but
generate nasty error messages.  There's basically two problems with
this.  Sometimes those errors don't happen on developer machines that
are watching the command line.  And two, some developers simply ignore
them because things work "well enough."  This has caused a few library
developers to, instead of printing a critical, to call abort -- because
people notice.  Hoping that by using the recoverable error in apport we
can track and focus resources on what are common problems throughout the
stack.

I'm new to the thread, but I think another useful feature here is being
able to report bugs with all the extra data needed to diagnose them.  We
just patched Apport to grab Upstart logs for packages that have Upstart
session jobs automatically.  This rocks.  It reduces the amount of
back-and-forth on bug reports, especially for reporters that disappear.
I know that in the past Bryce has used attached logs to bugs to
automatically triage them.

Ted