Khashayar Naderehvandi wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 4:38 AM, Cory K. <coryis...@ubuntu.com> wrote:
>
>> Canonical's new notification system has been put into Ubuntu and Studio
>> has accepted it for testing.
>>
>> After spending the day with it I'm not personally sold. I found numerous
>> places where apps didn't work with it and the amount of new
>> notifications I got looks to have doubled. Along with inconsistent
>> windows popping up.
>>
>> I was told that it's still new and there are still updates to add but we
>> still might wanna wait 'till +1 to take on this change.
>>
>> As it really doesn't remove functionality from Studio and is just bling,
>> I'm unsure if we should take this new system for now. Users can always
>> manually install it if they wish.
>>
>> *Please* test and give feedback.
>>
> The most annoying thing with the new notification system, in my
> opinion at least, is how it handles pop ups that previously used to
> have any kind of interaction buttons. For example pidgin's libnotify
> plugin that has a "show" button, clicking on which takes you to the
> pidgin window (or some such). Of course, most of the time one simply
> ignores a lot of these notifications, but with the new system you
> can't ignore it. They pop up in the middle of the screen in their own
> window. That's pretty horrible. In fact, it's so horrible, that I
> can't imagine it being kept like that for long.
>
> What I'm trying to say is that I'm hoping the most annoying things
> with the new notification system will be fixed before Jaunty is out.
> We could just as well go with it. Also, there has been a lot of
> critique of Mark's idea to completely eliminate the interaction
> possibility. Hopefully that critique will be taken into account when
> developing the notification system.
>
> Cory, can you point out some of the stuff that didn't work - or didn't
> work properly - for you? For me, like I said, it's mainly the window
> pop ups.

What you mention in your 1st paragraph has been my biggest issue. It
happens the same way for the trap app "mail-notification". When you get
alot of mail, this behavior is damn annoying. :)

I'll keep in contact with the guys working on this. Alot of work is
still ongoing. If we're not happy with it in a month or so we can drop it.

-Cory K.