On Sun, Oct 18, 2009 at 3:09 PM, Cory K. <coryis...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/18/2009 06:00 PM, Scott Lavender wrote:
>> I started making progress on the wiki documentation.  I first looked at
>> the three pages Eric mentioned on the Oct 12 meeting agenda
>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuStudio/Meetings/2009Oct12 .
>>
>> On Friday I updated the applications page on the wiki, there are still a
>> few little things to complete.
>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuStudio/Applications
>>
>> To also complete the update of the application lists on the wiki I will
>> also be addressing these pages in the near future:
>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuStudio/Audio
>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuStudio/Audio
>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuStudio/Video
>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuStudio/Notation
>>
>> I'm not fluent in all these apps but I can get update the applications
>> listed and in some cases give the page _some_ text.  Others will need to
>> update them also.
>>
>> During the weekend I also looked at the Installation and GettingStarted
>> pages that Eric mentioned.
>>
>> Obviously, the installation page need some work but I felt that we
>> should probably address installing the current and LTS versions of
>> Ubuntu Studio and also upgrading from the current and the LTS version of
>> Ubuntu only.  No point in telling people how to install/upgrade Feisty.
>> Just my two cents.
>>
>> As I read the GettingStarted page I felt like this was a microcosm for
>> the entire wiki.  By this I mean it's focus is diffused and lacked
>> overall structure.  Yes, the page in a logical order, but the
>> information about adding the -rt kernel should probably be on a upgrade
>> from Ubuntu page.  Defining JACK and how to set it up should like wise
>> be addressed on it's own pertinent and dedicated page.
>>
>> What this probably means is that the wiki pages would benefit from some
>> restructuring.  Over this weekend I spent time mind mapping the wiki and
>> hopefully by next weekend I will have mockups available on the wiki.
>> Which leads me to my next question:
>>
>> Does anyone object to me making temporary new pages?
>>
>> For the time being it would be duplicate information (parsed out from
>> existing pages and condensed) with some additional text/structure.  We
>> would need to be able to delete some of those pages at a later date and
>> I don't know who has rights.
>>
>> If I don't get any responses to the a new wiki structure and temporary
>> duplicate pages I will take silence as acceptance.
>>

> This has been needed for some time and I welcome your effort. Non-silent
> +1 from me. ;)
>

> -Cory K.

Non-silence from me as well. This effort of organization is LONG
overdue, thank you, thank you, thank you.  The Wiki really did grow
without any structure or guidance.  I'll try to give some time to
reviewing your changes - feel free to bounce ideas off me as well if
you're unsure of things.

As for the Upgrade/Installation page, both Feisty and Gutsy are no
longer officially supported so any materials for those anywhere on the
wiki can happily be deleted.  I also think the upgrade process doesn't
really need to be split into release versions, it did back when Ubuntu
Studio first started, but not any more, so those pages could be
combined into one.

-Eric