On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 4:29 PM, Louie Queral <louiethecu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> example screen of my windows desktop. simple, clean, and inviting.
> we have the same basic concept with a gnome interface as well, no doubt.
>
> On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 7:24 PM, <louiethecu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Before we ditch gnome, let's see what we can do with it first. For
>> instance have we ever though of bundling rocket dock, or another desktop mod
>> as the default theme?
>>
>>  That's essentially what I did with my windows system, I took out the task
>> bar using rocket dock and I only have a docklet on the buttom of my screen.
>>
>> It maximizes space, and it just makes the screen easy to look at. Let's
>> not be too quick on blowing off a very well though out gui

Cory, I question your doubts about Unity. Yes, Unity does some neat
things for maximized applications, but I don't think it is an
inherently inferior WM for workflows with a lot of windows like in our
creative world.
I personally like Unity more and more, and think it deserves to be
considered as default for Studio:
 1. it's great
 2. it means less specificities compared to vanilla ubuntu
 3. concerning performance and the impact of a full-blown compiz on
audio latency, we'd need benchmarks before assessing anything; do we
have these? And Unity 2D (compiz-less) could be an interesting
middleground

Cheers,
Ronan