On Sat, May 21, 2011 at 11:28 AM, Ralf Mardorf
<ralf.mard...@alice-dsl.net>wrote:

> Hi all :)
>
> I'm new to the Ubuntu Studio devel list and I'm not sure if it's the right
> place for me, so please blame Mike, if I should annoy you ;p.
>
> I was upset when I read that you'll switch the DE, until the community give
> a fair warning, that GNOME2 won't be supported any more.
>
> Hurray, I already needed to switch from KDE3 to GNOME2 when there was the
> switch to KDE4 and now I've got to switch again, I believe unsighted that
> GNOME3 isn't a good choice and I do agree that there are two DEs that in
> case of emergency could replace GNOME2. XFCE and LXDE. Fluxbox and e17 can't
> do, dunno which DEs you were thinking of and I don't know the current XFCE,
> but I guess you did a step in the right direction with XFCE.
>
> Anyway, Mike is right that now is a good time for some "wishes".
>
> First of all, since 2003/2004, when I switched from the Atari ST TOS to
> Suse Linux 9.0, the wheel of my mouse is working, until I switched from
> Ubuntu Karmic (resp. 64 Studio) to Ubuntu Studio Lucid. For my current
> Edubuntu Maverick, the mouse wheel seldom is working. I'm not only thinking
> of my mouse-wheel issue, but about the mouse movements in general. Over the
> weekend I'm sorting out old Linux installs and data on my HDDs, while doing
> this I run 64 Studio 3.3 with LXDE. Using the mouse there is like slow
> motion. For home recording and I suspect less professional audio studios are
> using Ubuntu Studio, often one person needs to do everything her/him self,
> the instrument in one hand, the mouse in the other hand, hence using the
> mouse should be "fast", resp. small movements should enable to cross the
> whole screen, while it also should be possible to select -1, -2 and -3 dB
> for a fader and not only  -1 and -3 dB ;), this is able by using GNOME2.
>
> Did you notice something?
>
> I'm talking about music only. IMO the usage of video, paint and animation
> apps doesn't really need a special distro, ok, for e.g.  Cinelerra there
> might be the need to have a special repository, regarding to codec issues
> and the GNU etc., but special tweaks are needed for real-time audio.
>
> For GNOME2 sessions on my Maverick install, the default CPU frequency
> scaling setting of my customized configured kernel 2.6.33.9-rt31 is ignored.
> It's set down to "ondemand".
>
> Today I installed Ardour3, hence I'm knowingly just used the computer set
> to "ondemand". The installer warned me:
>
> "!!! WARNING !!! - Your system seems to use frequency scaling.
> This can have a serious impact on audio latency. You have two choices:
> (1) turn it off, e.g. by chosing the 'performance' governor.
> (2) Use the HPET clocksource by passing "-c h" to JACK
> (this second option only works on relatively recent computers)"
>
> And even on relatively recent computers there's a limit for the apps that
> can use HPET, I'm only enabling it for ALSA seq and not by/for Jack.
>
> Perhaps you should connect a power meter to your computer and compare the
> [...]

Ralf,

Thanks for the input!  There is a lot there to consider, however, consider
we shall.

I will warn you clearly now, I'm not sure we will be able to do everything
*at this time*.  Some items may be prohibited by Canonical/Ubuntu like
including VST support in the binary.  Others may not happen immediately
simply because of limited resources.

Thank you again,
ScottL