I always pull out anything that supports digital rights management, pay music,
pay software, etc from all of my machines. Ubuntuone (largely due to background
daemons that consume resources) , software-center(can be used to install pay
software, banned from my systems), and all of Mono(too much BS) are removed and
all available A/V codecs as well as synaptic are installed.  I have never heard
ot mutually incompatable codecs other than versionitis being released.  We
could of course advise people "consumer or producer, choose one," but that
makes us too part of the problem.

If people find that they can't play some pair of files both on the same
computer booted from the same partition, that is beyond ugly and needs to be
fixed even if it means renaming some binaries or libraries so they can live
together or be versioned independantly.  I would simply drop them in
/local/whatever do deal with this, not using dpkg to install them (done that
with some other packages in the past), though that does not alway work

About that "Itunes" model, I am very strongly oppposed to distribution of
DRM'ed files, though remember I am from the "no paid content" side of the
house.  I won't even have DRM'ed media in the house unless I also have software
to crack it. DRM doesn't even work anyway, it's a form of encryption with a
very severe key distribution issue, and as a result usually a very small number
of keys. Libdvdcss, for instance, can simply brute-force the very old
"encryption" of DVD's, anything that can play DVD video can try every possible
key in minutes. It would be like encrypting my hard drive (against law
enforcement as I do) but accepting the restriction that the passphrase must be
a word found in the dictionary-and that it would also be used to encrypt every
file I publish (in my activist work) and every user must therefore have the
password. Of course, anyone back at the Hoover building with John the Ripper
and a dictionary would be able to play it too, so what would be the point?

If DRM software/codecs are ever used by Ubuntuone, either the source code will
have to be published or the software not be GPL licensed. If open-source, I can
guarantee you that the DRM would be cracked and the crack published before the
first song was sold.