On Wed, 2012-07-18 at 10:27 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-07-17 at 23:10 -0700, Len Ovens wrote:
> > and turn off pulse->jack bridging
>
> Anybody using Ubuntu Studio without getting rid of pulse?
>
> I'm using Ubuntu Studio, but I removed PA.
>
> I won't argue with audio productions, but does anybody use GIMP while
> having a call via skype or something similar?
>
> IMO PA belongs to "averaged" desktop distros, but not to a distro for
> artists. When drawing, I even turn off my fixed-line network.
>
> No Pulseaudio + CPU freq scale gov set up to performance are basics for
> any art.

There should probably be an easy way to turn off PA, when wishing to do
so, using a gui control, which is being looked at as an option.
If anyone knows of a nice way to do that temporarily, other than
"pasuspender --" and whatever implications there might be (also, using
pasuspender), please do tell.

> Btw. if you wish to use less resources, without getting xruns, perhaps
> setting up the CPU freq scale gov to a fixed limited freq will do the
> job. AFAIK xruns are caused by changing the speed on demand, but I
> suspect that a limit to 1GHz for your 2GHz CPU won't cause issues.
>
> --
> I wasn't aware that he died in 2005.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._L._Burnside

P.S Given enough time, anyone can become an annoying idiot ;).

--
   kaj.ailo...@mousike.me