On 07/18/2012 06:36 PM, Len Ovens wrote:

On Tue, July 17, 2012 7:25 pm, Tim Henderson wrote:

<clip>
  >  scaling governor - normally ondemand, sometimes gets xrun when
  > switching to higher speed. Noticeable difference with "performance"
  > setting. Downsides, CPU runs hotter, batteries on battery run devices
  > last less time. Best to be able to switch for as needed.
<clip>

I apologize if I am oversimplifying this, but have you tried the
xfce4-governor-plugin?  It's not installed by default, though it
probably should be.  Install with apt-get, allows you to switch between
different scale options.  You can see the changes in /proc/cpuinfo

Tim H.

sudo apt-get install xfce4-governor-plugin
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package xfce4-governor-plugin

It seems not to be available.

You're right. Package does not exist for Precise. Looks like the xfce4-cpufreq-plugin may have taken its place. Pretty nice plugin actually.

Tim