On Mon, August 6, 2012 6:03 am, C. F. Howlett wrote:
> A little insight into the whole photo processing theme
>
> Linux Tools for Serious
> Photographers<http://scribblesandsnaps.com/linux-tools-for-serious-photographers/>

Aside from being digikam centric :)  It does mention some other kinds of
tools I had not thought of.

 - digikam - right off, this brings in a lot of libs, 118 packages and
110Mb when compressed. And it seems from the article that while it can do
a lot of things, the list of other utilities does a better job. That is
each small program that does only one thing does a better job of that one
thing than the big program that does everything.

 - Entangle - allows the computer to control the camera ... everything the
camera controls can do the computer can do. Cool. We can't include this
(yet) as there is no package. But I see we do have:

 - coriander which seems (from it's short description) to do the same
thing. It only pulls in one extra lib. Uses 503kb of disk space, packages
are 151kb (small foot print). It does not show up on the menu, rather it
is one of those things that auto starts when a camera is connected. Has
anyone had experience with it? Does anyone have a camera that is
tether-able they can try it with? Are there other applications in our
repo I have missed that do similar things.

 - Rapid Photo Downloader - This one just keeps showing up in everyones
workflow. Probably there is a good reason for that.

 - geeqie - The other workflow we were looking at uses gthumb for the same
thing. I think we use darktable. They say that geeqie is "lightening
fast" (same comments about gthumb BTW) shotwell doesn't seem to do so
well at these things, it does not offer the easy editing of photo meta
editing... at least I find it less than convenient... These three
programs do the same thing. They all support raw images, though it is
questionable to what extent.. gthumb seems to offer the best comment
editing. geeqie offers none that I can see. All of them offer sorting
though. geeqie and gthumb should be added to the extra-installer anyway
and the workflow docs should do a compare of features and uses.

 - darktable - we already ship this. It seems to do more than a lot of
other apps.

 - GTKRawGallery - not really an option for us (not in repos) and seems to
be covered well by darktable anyway.

 - rawstudio and ufraw - seem to be mostly raw import/conversion utilities
we ship RawTherapee which does this and more.

 - photivo - we can't get

 - fotoxx - I think is already on the extra install button (we ship
darktable)

Len's notes:  I downloaded and tried some of these. It seems most of the
workflow is already covered by what we have. Rapid Photo Downloader keeps
showing up and I think we should add it. The only other hole in our apps
is a tethering tool. If some one has a tether-able camera, I would be
interested in your thoughts on coriander. It is kind of a sleeper as there
is no menu entry, but I can see something like this being very useful for
small object photography or even portraits. It would also have application
in animation using solid objects like claymation for example.

Comments please.

--
Len Ovens
www.OvenWerks.net