On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 1:31 PM, Len Ovens <l...@ovenwerks.net> wrote:

> The ubuntu version of LMMS seems to come with VST support including wine
> (depends not recomends). We have had some of this stuff before and there
> has been issues with 64bit ISO builds as I recall. In other words a 64bit
> machine can load wine but the ISO still doesn't build. We had that problem
> before we went to live ISO... so there would be another problem as well.
> When wine loads it grabs the windows fonts which are free but licensed.
> The user has to ok the license. I don't know that this would be possible
> with ubiquity... Doesn't work with jackd. It may be best to leave it as
> extra SW. Interesting thing is that as installed, the software center
> can't see LMMS even though synaptic can. The sources have to be added
> under other software -> Canonical Partners and/or Independent, before it
> shows up. This may mean it is not considered to be _in_ the ubuntu repos.
>
> Also after ISO install software center can't install software until the
> update manager has been run at least once (bug reported and confirmed,
> seems not to be a US problem).
>

> --
> Len Ovens
> www.OvenWerks.net

Quite right.  There are licensing issues that LMMS is currently built with
in the repos that we can't exactly include by default.  It would take a lot
of work to tweak and maintain a different LMMS build, and even then we'd be
creating a reduced feature set for the end user and those who really want
to use the program would likely install a different version (or be
discouraged by our included version and not use the program at all).  It's
probably best to stick with more fully open and free software, suggesting
LMMS to those interested in using VST-based production methods, possibly
via a suggestion in our help documents.

- Eric Hedekar