On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 7:28 PM, Len Ovens <l...@ovenwerks.net> wrote:

> On Sun, October 14, 2012 6:20 pm, Eric Hedekar wrote:
>
> > Also, I just checked.  The LMMS binary is built upstream in Debian and
> > inherited into Ubuntu.  So disabling the wine dependency (and thus VST
> > support) would then disable it for all Debian distributions.  I don't
> > believe this is an option worth considering.
>
> Wouldn't listing the fonts package in the blacklist seed stop the live ISO
> from adding that?
>
> I think we should try it. I think it would do one of three things:
>
> 1) apt will try and install it anyway and the ISO won't build
> 2) apt will add it to the stuff that needs to be installed but won't
> because of the blacklist and so will download the installer at install
> time and at first update will run the installer and the user will get the
> license screen.
> 3) the font will not install and the user will not be able to install
> afterwards either (because of black list - I don't think so)
> 4) (where did this come from?) the font will not install but the user will
> be able to install latter.
>
> 1 and 3 are bad, 2 and 4 are ok. 1a) apt will add it to the ISO build but
> the accept will not happen so it won't load... this may be ok.
>
> So now its five things :)

I'm not exactly sure what will take place if the recommended font package
gets blacklisted.  I'm also not sure of the legality of this - i.e. will
the font package in question appear on our ISO and do we have legal rights
to do this with our/ubuntu's distribution policies?

I will say that the users may complain that wine does not run nicely unless
these fonts are installed after.  If you've blacklisted the fonts then can
they ever install them without throwing a conflict error?  There's a lot of
testing that will need to be worked on here.  Wine is quite a big element
of many people's computers.  Be careful what you blacklist.  Fairly soon I
think some MOTU consultation should take place on this matter.  Len can you
look into these questions?

-Eric