Having followed this, and using both sample rates , I do see one thing
that is ugly: Most standalone audio files I see online are 44.1 khz due to
the legacy CD format, and many audio editors like audacity have tradtionally
defaulted
to that. Ardour, of course, does default to 48KHZ.

On the other hand, everyone is saying that the HARDWARE defaults to 48khz and
has to convert anything else. My good video cameras default to 48khz audio
tracks,
but cheap ones (as in <100) can default to anything. I generally keep the 48KHZ
sample rate on video but release audio at 44.1, mostly because otherwise I'd
have to
resample all my music to avoid complicating final mixes.

This situation with soundcards at 48khz may explains the occasional audio
corruption bugs
in audacity (using ALSA on HD ATI SB ALC 889  Analog(hw:0,0) ) that
appear only after a track resample, only after moving the track, not all of the
time, and
are ALWAYS  gone after closing and reopening the project