On Mon, 25 Feb 2013 15:20:57 +0100, Len Ovens <l...@ovenwerks.net> wrote:

On Mon, February 25, 2013 1:29 am, Janne Jokitalo wrote:
On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 08:27:51PM -0800, Len Ovens wrote:
We chose to use xubuntu as the base for ubuntu studio to ease
maintenance
issues. Hoping we could work with them to give both of us less work.
<snip>
[...] Studio is based on xubuntu 11.10.

I don't understand this. Studio bases on current cycle packages every
time, it's
not looking back in any way. The whole point is to not having to maintain
anything in the core package level, that would occur had we chosen to
stand on
an older release only (eventually anyway, once the support from vanilla
and
Xubuntu team ends).

The packages are up to date. That is we do have xfce 4.10 for example.
However compare the settings manager from one to the other. Xubuntu has
more stuff in there than studio does even though studio has the
applications that xubuntu shows inside the settings manager, in Studio the
same app is just in the menu.

I know these are minor details...

The problem I see is we should really have one person maintaining the desktop. Someone who does a bit of research each cycle to see what is happening purely desktop-wise. Anyone willing to volunteer for this?

I don't expect that anyone currently active developer will find the time to do it, and this question is a little premature. I'd like to try get more people involved, who nessecarily don't know much about Ubuntu flavor OS development, but would be willing to work on different features for Ubuntu Studio.

Ideally, we'd have one person for each workflow, people who know their stuff in those areas, who would make a map of available tools and applications, and make sure our selection is a clean and fully functional representation of what people want/need out of the box. And when it comes to the desktop, that's almost zero multimedia specific, so it shouldn't be hard to find someone interested in only working on that, as it would probably not be that time consuming either (as we have the luxury of being able to derive our work off of Xubuntu's :P). Of course, the more technical aspects of it may need some assistance from our -dev and -contributor team people.

When we start the next cycle of development, and we begin planning, I'd like to put a lot of energy on hunting for developers. Through mail lists, and social medias, and why not news channels as well. This means we need to be prepared for it - our wikis, home page, and social channels should all be set up and organized for this. That is one of my major goals for the end part of this cycle.

I'd think Howard could be the right man for the desktop part, but I fear he is already tied up with too many knots :)