On Fri, 2013-03-08 at 15:25 -0500, lukefro...@hushmail.com wrote:
> [...]
> control all busses on which audio or video signals travel, it often means
> connecting to
> a keyserver, etc.
>
> A machine supporting DRM is an attempt to make a machine Hollywood can trust.
> To get there, the entire audio and video path have to be protected from users
> like myself.
> That requires either closed-source, secure boot to a kernel that hash checks
> all binaries
> (and thus slows down) or probably both.
>
> In short, if Ubuntu wants to offer DRM any stronger than that supported by
> Flash,
> they would have to use a set of "restricted" packages that would have to
> include
> the kernel, video drivers, audio driver,  and all media players. None of
> those would
> I be willing to install. I hope to hell these are kept separate and optional,
> so you can
> at least choose a DRM or non-DRM install from the package manager.  Better if
> users could boot from a DRM or non DRM kernel, choosing at boot time.
>
> In fact, Flash is a good  example here: if Adobe threw up their hands, walked
> away
> from it, and released it  under the GPL so someone else could mantain it, all
> Flash
> DRM content would be  instantly cracked.
>
> Everyone knows about Flash, few would trust, say, a Flash applet to open an
> encrypted
> disk from the browser!  Hell, when using Tor browser for something that could
> land
> someone in jail or worse, you must disable Flash. Torbrowser could never be
> safely made from
> a closed-source browser, whether it integrated Flash or not. Nor could it
> ever me made from
> a browser that cannot disable Flash.
>
> You are right about metals: smartphones and tablets are the worst offenders,
> as their
> small size requires special materials like Tantalum capacitors. That as well
> as trust are
> reasons I choose not to own them. I also never throw out Pentium 4 or later
> hardware,
> repurposing and giving them away instead.
>
> Free and open source software for encryption has saved lives of activists
> fighting against
> resource extraction focussed dictatorships.
>

> On 03/08/2013 at 6:31 AM, "Kaj Ailomaa" <zeque...@mousike.me> wrote:
> >
> >On Wed, 06 Mar 2013 20:16:17 +0100, <lukefro...@hushmail.com>
> >wrote:
> >That said, has anyone considered the dirty business around
> >hardware?
> >Precious metals and all that? I don't know much about it, but I
> >think we
> >could probably all agree on that all though the software is free,
> >doesn't
> >mean the machine it runs on is a blessing to humanity.

Mining of pewter already is a serious issue, but it's too unworldly to
think that Linux needs to protect people, who want's to fight against
dictatorships.

The problem with Ubuntu indeed is all that tablet PC and other computer
crap. I don't want DRM, EFI or any other acronym on my machine. I even
don't install flash player anymore. I neither consume legal nor illegal
entertainment industry medias. I never could stand Roland Emmerich and I
even can't stand Quentin Tarantino anymore. I never listened to chart
music.

There's nothing bad with tablet PCs, but they can't replace a desktop
machine. People who give away their PCs and Laptops and replace it by a
tablet PC, perhaps don't need a computer as a tool. I won an iPad2 a
long time ago and it definitively can't replace a _real_ computer, even
if it would run Linux. It's a reader and remote control and could be a
very useful tool, assumed it wouldn't run iOS. The hardware is good
enough for video games, I'm not a gamer, but I've got the impression,
that playing a game with the fingers and motion sensor doesn't work.

A production environment does need a real keyboard and card slots and
last but not least, a real, huge tube monitor or display.

I'm using Linux for around a decade now and from the beginning I didn't
stay with one and the same distro. I switched apps, I switched DEs and I
switched distros several times.

>From the beginning I never trusted Mark Shuttleworth, what people made
calling me a troll around ten years ago, now is reality :D. Saul became
Paul in an incredible ridiculous book, unlikely that this does happen in
real live that often.