Since MIR is a display server, the "DRM" block could refer to mesa hardware
acceleration
or to digital rights management. If it's the latter, a derivative distro would
have to run either
another version of Mir (if source is published), Wayland, or good old fashioned
X. I still think
they'll need a special kernel, and would have to use a BSD kernel for license
reasons unless
they rely only on secure boot of a special build.

You may be right about using something like  Ubuntu Server as the base of all
"non-consumer" installs.
So long as they keep a clean kernel either in repo or as the basis of Ubuntu
Server, derivatives
could all base on that. Certainly, installing to server, then calling only your
top-level packages
from apt-get would give a stripped-down, clean install with no crap. Best of
all, server disk images
fit on CD and are small. Perhaps a deriviative distro would then be a second
disk that runs after
a server install, with scripts to ask the user any questions and then install
the correct DE, themes,
workflows, etc, and nothing else?  This approach would let the whole storm of
changes ride under
our keels.