Am 22.05.2013 16:12, schrieb Kaj Ailomaa:
> On Wed, May 22, 2013, at 09:25 AM, Hartmut Noack wrote:
>> Am 22.05.2013 07:53, schrieb Len Ovens:
>>> This is an interesting project.
>>
>> To be frank: "interesting project" is quite bold a description for
>> installing more than one DE in Linux. It would be "interesting" though,
>> if the US-packages would fail to run OK in KDE, Fluxbox UNITY, you name
>> it.
>>
>> So if you got the time, and if you do not mind please allow me to point
>> your attention to other things, that my or may not be most interesting
>> too:
>>

>> Mon May 13 17:50:27 2013: JACK server starting in realtime mode with
>> priority 10
>> Mon May 13 17:50:28 2013: ERROR: cannot register object path
>> "/org/freedesktop/ReserveDevice1/Audio2": A handler is already
>> registered for /org/freedesktop/ReserveDevice1/Audio2
>> Mon May 13 17:50:28 2013: ERROR: Failed to acquire device name : Audio2
>> error : A handler is already registered for
>> /org/freedesktop/ReserveDevice1/Audio2
>> Mon May 13 17:50:28 2013: ERROR: Audio device hw:2 cannot be acquired...
>> Mon May 13 17:50:28 2013: ERROR: Cannot initialize driver
>> Mon May 13 17:50:28 2013: ERROR: JackServer::Open failed with -1
>> Mon May 13 17:50:28 2013: ERROR: Failed to open server
>>

>> To have a Ubuntu Studio, that can in fact always start Jack on supported
>> hardware under any DE you like, would indeed be a most interesting thing
>> to be achieved I dare to think.
>>

>> best regards
>>
>> HZN
>>

> This was a bug in the pulseaudio code. It was fixed a few months ago,
> and the fix is now being merged with the packages for 12.04 and 12.10
> (should be out within a couple of weeks)
> 13.04 includes pulseaudio 3.0, which already includes the fix.

I run 13.04 Pulseaudio is 1:3.0-0ubuntu6

If you read carefully, you may find, that the bug refers to a situation,
where jackd spawns the following error:

ATTENTION: The playback device "hw:0" is already in use. Please stop the
application using it and run JACK again

I have a problem, that spawns this:

 ERROR: cannot register object path
"/org/freedesktop/ReserveDevice1/Audio2": A handler is already registered

The only "fix", I could find so far is completely removing pulseaudio
(recommended by FalkTX), seems not the most elegant way to handle this
to me.

What I was trying to say here is, that it would be great, if a
distro-variant, that promises ease of use for multimedia-producers,
concentrates on making the distro working as expected in the first
place. Before discussing easy to go fun stuff like what DE will we use
and how shall it look like?

I am sure, if the team would concentrate on show-stoppers, the users
would be glad to help fixing them and be it by spreading word on such
problems to become a PITA for those, who are qualified enough to fix. I
am not and most users are not capable to fix low-level bugs as well....

Do you have a statistic on how many people out there use US for
music-production?

Anyway: any person, that uses Win or Mac for that that tries US and is
encountering this problem will switch back and maybe consider using
Linux next year or never....

best regards

HZN