On Wed, May 22, 2013 3:37 pm, Hartmut Noack wrote:

> Anyway *my* philosophy is, that a free operating system should offer the
> means to tweak it to run on lesser hardware too but there is absolutely
> no point in expecting an anachronistic Computer on the desk of a Linux
> user. In fact I find that "philosophy" dubious: who says, that anyone,
> who can afford a 1000E-Laptop will *not* be a Linux-user? Do you think,
> that Linux is the system for the poor? Do you think, that Linux is the
> system for the old PC, that cannot run Windows8?

Only a few years ago, there was a large number of people who did that, use
a machine that wasn't good enough for windows. However as you have pointed
out that is no longer true. My desktop computer is 10 years old or so (P4)
and still works fine for recording multi-track audio. In fact there are
people having more problems with new HW than I do. My piggy bank is in no
shaoe to buy new HW, but I have been looking at where I want to go when I
can. I will start from the MB and build. I will be looking for a MB and
cpu that is good for low latency, something speed and memory do not
guarantee. In fact, low latency can slow a computer through put down. For
example, I get lower latency by turning hyperthreading off. The desktop is
a little slower, but I can get <1ms latency thought jack without xruns
with  guitarix running.

--
Len Ovens
www.OvenWerks.net