Looking at the code for do-release-upgrade, it has remove linux 3.8 but
while it does list the RT variant, it does not list low latency. Of coarse
there is no 3.9 low latency kernel yet, so that may be part of that too.
However, It looks like the upgrade tool is based on metas and whatever has
been user installed after the original install. None of our metas have the
kernel in them as a depends (that I can find). So it appears that
low-latency from old release stays because there is no rule to remove
it... though I don't know if new versions will still be installed, and we
get the generic because we don't have low latency in any meta or as part
of the remove line.

Does this make sense? A new saucy install has only the lowlatency kernel
(3.8 though, not 3.9)

The code is here BTW:
https://code.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-core-dev/ubuntu-release-upgrade

The file that seems to be of most interest is:
 /data/DistUpgrade.cfg

The lines tha stuck out to me are:

MetaPkgs=ubuntu-desktop, kubuntu-desktop, xubuntu-desktop,
ubuntustudio-desktop, ichthux-desktop, mythbuntu-desktop, ubuntu-netbook,
kubuntu-netbook, lubuntu-desktop
BaseMetaPkgs=ubuntu-minimal, ubuntu-standard
Demotions=demoted.cfg

[KernelRemoval]
Version=3.8.0
BaseNames=linux-image,linux-headers,linux-image-debug,linux-backport-modules,linux-header-lbm
Types=386,ec2,generic,rt,server,virtual

Note there is no low-latency above.

[ubuntustudio-desktop]
KeyDependencies=ubuntustudio-default-settings, ubuntustudio-look

This does not include any of our workflow metas. With the alt install that
makes sense, with the live install it does not. The upgrade does not offer
to install new workflow metas and as all workflows are included in a new
install, perhaps they should all be dependancies of our desktop...
however, if we were then to remove them from the desktop down the road,
the next upgrade might remove them too :P perhaps our desktop meta should
include a ubuntustudio meta upgrade/install tool? It could be run as part
of the postinst script?

Also, It is interesting that in removal_blacklist.cfg, all of the other
flavour-desktop metas are mentioned, but not  ubuntustudio. that may have
to be so until the gnome2 DE is no longer supported ??

As prep for the 14.04 LTS release. We need to do a good uograde test from
12.04 to 13.10 and see what actually gets done. See if photography and
publishing make it in for example. I have a spare partition to try this
on. (or I can make one)

--
Len Ovens
www.OvenWerks.net