On Tue, June 18, 2013 1:23 pm, Jarno Suni wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Jun 2013 13:00:25 -0700
> "Len Ovens" <l...@ovenwerks.net> wrote:
>>
>> I downloaded the package. I had thought it was qt3, but the ubuntu
>> package
>> src I downloaded is only qt3 because it uses qt 1/2 compatibility libs.
>
> Do you mean it is hard to install in latest Ubuntu?

The program needs to be upgraded to a current version of qt. The libs it
depends on are not available any longer.

>> I was not suggesting Pulse would replace a good alsa mixer at all.
>> However, in the desktop world, it has taken over. So a lot of alsa
>> mixers
>> are falling into disrepair or at least are no longer being improved. In
>> the audio workstation world a good alsa mixer is a must, but we will
>> only
>> find one if someone interested in professional audio develops it. I
>> think
>> in the past most alsa mixers were developed by people interested in
>> bringing desktop audio to linux.
>
> Do you mean some additional features that you can not find in alsamixer?

Yes. qamix for example, provides profiles that allow labelling each
control in a human readable form. Deciding which controls make sense in
the input section, the output section and a monitor section. (alsamixer
gives me two of each control on my monitor mixer because it doesn't know
if it is input or output so it gives both... or something)  Which controls
really belong in a settings section. Ganging any two (or more) controls.
qamix also allows having a midi input control various controls.

So take that and add the look/feel of qasmixer that can size the controls
to fit almost any size window.  Add OSC controls. Add jack controls/setup.
and that would be a nice pro audio interface application. (though I have
probably missed something :)

So yes, I have a list. I am sure others could add more.

--
Len Ovens
www.OvenWerks.net