On Sun, 15 Sep 2013, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

Before Firefox is started for the first time, there's no ~/.mozilla/.
It would be possible to install a ~/.mozilla/ by the Ubuntu Studio
desktop meta package. Not only to replace the search engine, resp. even
when not replacing the search engine, but (also) to add useful bookmarks
to Linux audio sites, Linux graphic sites etc..

I tried using /etc/skel/"stuff" for some other default browser settings and had it nixed. There are maintenance problems with doing that. However, There are other places settings can be added/changed. There are some things to leave alone though... like the start page. If the menu item says FireFox, then the start page has to be firefox at least for first start up. (for legal reasons)

It seems a lot of distro creation or modifying is not just doing something, but doing it in the right place. For example, our Grub customizations are not done the way _any_ of the how to tutorials suggest... including the grub home page. If we did, the next grub update would overwrite our change :)

There are some things happening in browers and Ubuntu and I would like to wait till those things are done. It seems Ubuntu (vanilla) may change to chromium and the ubuntu branding package for firefox may be removed. This means that the location for making changes to firefox settings would also change (maybe).

One more thing to concider... Ubuntu has tried different search engines as default before. The main result has been lots of bug reports/complaints by testers/users and it gets changed back petty quick.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net