I have no choice but to use H264 because my camera outputs in those files. Not
being employed, I do not have the option of discarding and replacing cameras.

Therefore, I do not use the stripped version of ffmpeg, and that's not going to
change. We lost the fight to kill the patented codecs outright a long time ago,
so
now we must prevent sucessful enforcement of those patents against free software
or we lose interoperability.

As for output codecs, I have had little luck getting all those non computer
savvy
folks I work with in activism to replace Windows XP on their typical older
laptops
and desktops, meaning everything I publish must be playable on a WinXP machine.