On Wed, 20 May 2015 10:40:52 +0200, Kaj Ailomaa wrote:
>Publishing today does not need to involve actual printing.

That's correct.

>I do find it difficult to place web design applications in the same
>field, as those are generally regarded as code development tools. That
>said, a publication can be in html. The difference is in the way you
>produce the html code.

Markup languages often are part of publishing tools, the tools anyway
aren't apps for program language. Publishing is the bridge between
artwork and engineering.

Using rubber cement is one technique, using a markup language is
another technique. And using the mouse, the application might
automatically generate perfect markup language code, but an editor to
write markup language for publishing is just a publishing tool. Rubber
cement and a scalpel are publishing tools too. I've got a
scalpel in my graphic art drawers, but I don't have got a
scalpel in my medicine cabinet. The medicine cabinet not necessarily is
the best place to store the scalpel.