Ubuntu has stayed with gedit 3.10 all the way through using parts of GNOME 3.16
for good reason. Later versions are much harder to use, GNOME has become
known for designing only around one particular workflow concept. Pluma now
builds
quite well with gtk3 or with gtk2 if the newly released 1.12 version is used.

Best of all, a lot of the really useful things and bugfixes that GNOME does do
get
backported into MATE apps such as Pluma. I've spent a lot of time working with
MATE right now, generally running everything from git master so I see this up
close.

A very big change is on the horizon with gtk3.20, Ubuntu 16.04 will miss it by
using
gtk3.18 assuming current patterns continue, but 16.10 will presumably use
Gtk3.20.

GTK 3.20 looks to me like the biggest change since the 2.32 to 3.0 jump, as the
theming system is totally revised, I've been working for two days to update my
theme
and I am not done yet.

https://blogs.gnome.org/mclasen/2015/11/20/a-gtk-update/

Most (but NOT all) of the themeing is a matter of this sort of change to support
"css nodes" which differ from the previous selectors in their names and in the
fact that an application developer can attach them to custom widgets instead
of using the traditiional custom widget names that give an #mywidget selector.

In addition, GTK seems to use style classes a lot less internally, applying
them to
a few widgets but not most of them. Ones added to application code still work.

So. the selector  "GtkMenu .menuitem" becomes "menu menuitem" and then works
mostly like before.  The ".view" selector is one of the few style classes I've
found so
far that still works from GTK's own code. Also some pseudoclasses change, so
that

" .mywidget .mywidgetchild.vertical" may have to be written as
"mywidget.vertical mywidgetchild"

Much more to this, I've just started digging into it. There are also advantages
to this
code, notably that windows and frames defined by a widget are now much easier to
work with, so that if "mywidget" makes it's own window or frame for itself,
using

"mywidget.window" or "mywidget.frame" works in many cases. If the application
packs
the widget into a frame that won't work. Still not sure about all the details
but this is what
I am finding so far.