On Thu, 26 Nov 2015, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

On Wed, 25 Nov 2015 13:58:08 -0800 (PST), Len Ovens wrote:
On 11/25/2015 at 3:38 PM, "Ralf Mardorf" wrote:
I do most things with pluma and nano. There are other editors I
like, butto replace gedit IMO pluma is the best editor.

Count me odd, but for terminal I use joe unless nano is all there is.

Really? Ctrl+K D to save? What is K D for? "K" for
"kauzig/komisch" (German words for "odd") and "D" for "disk"?

Probably Kommand ;)

For nano it's Ctrl+O and O is for output, since the common command
line abbreviations are "o" or "of" for output (file) and "i" or "if" for
input (file).

I learned on wordstar way back, and these commands used to be very common. I find nano's methods of dealing with block selections less than good. joe allows selecting part of a line and copying/cutting. Nano just cuts, so to copy I have to cut-> paste->move->paste. And it only cuts whole lines (that I can see).

Joe also colour codes things based on the programming language in the file which is nice. It does have some trouble dealing with white space the right way... or maybe I just need to configure it right.

I would probably be better learning one of the more common dev tools like emacs. But the GUI in geany seems to do it all right and has build commands and can keep track of whole projects. Clicking on build errors opens the right file and puts the cursor at the offending line.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net