As usual, Autumna comes with some really pertinent and well put ideas.

> On 2016-05-29 21:31, Devin Ulibarri wrote:
>> Main question is, as I look for ways to bring free software (and
>> free culture) to NEC, can I count on the backing/support of the
>> Ubuntu Studio team? If so, I will look for grants etc. with this in
>> mind.

TBH our "brand" belongs to Canonical. Hence we cannot provide you
with any such support officially without the benediction of Canonical.
So if you need the backup of a corporation, your best bet is to talk to
canonical directly. But like Autumna says, it isn't necessary. After all
GNU/Linux is (not limited to, but also) about computing /by/ the people
/for/ the people.

On 2016-05-29 16:15, Devin Ulibarri wrote:

>>> I would *not* ask for work that distracts you from the goal of
>>> development.
>>>
>>> I think just some "veil of support" would be enough--just a
>>> general backing of the idea and permission to go to the higher
>>> ups at the school and tell them that we have the backing of
>>> "Ubuntu Studio". They will not recognize the name, so it will be
>>> up to convince them that this is big opportunity for NEC.

You can count on our support to the extend that any user can.
Furthermore, you can attract some of us to get a personal interest in
your goals. But be careful of how you present Ubuntu Studio as your
candidate distribution to your deans: we are cherishing our
transparency, it would take very little research to understand the
actual size of our organization. So again, if you feel you really need a
corporate spine in your presentation; talk to canonical directly. You
can however feel free to present U-S as the distribution of choice for
your project, and you don't need any special permission to do that AFAIK.

>>> I had a difficult time wording the above, but one of the benefits
>>> for an institution like NEC in the world of free software as I
>>> can see it is the potential for leaving a greater legacy. So,
>>> under a free license, yes no one makes royalties, but the name of
>>> the original author is spread far and wide (e.g. Richard
>>> Stallman, Linus Torvalds, etc). So, if , the musicians of NEC
>>> were to help with what they could help with (I think recording
>>> sound fonts, mainly), then what they would get in return would be
>>> acknowledgement for being the one who created the "awesome sound
>>> font". (Additionally, if I did this aforementioned project of
>>> sound fonts, I would fund it with a grant to pay the musicians a
>>> one-time stipend for their work. If I did not get grant funding
>>> to pay musicians the one time fee, I would not do it. So, this
>>> plan/dream is contingent on possible grant funding.)

If you chose a Creative Commons license that caries Attribution, the
name of the licensor will remain.

>>> This is the potential issue I *really do* worry about. Our tech
>>> team is not one for change or taking risks. Therefore, I think I
>>> really need to get it right with the higher-ups of the school
>>> (they can tell the IT team that this is an education-based
>>> decision, which would trump their complaints).
>>>
>>> Strategically, if we try to bring the OS into NEC on the ground,
>>> I would propose to start with a "one computer" program where we
>>> have one computer running Ubuntu Studio in each of the two
>>> computer lab (small school). I could also get help from MIT,
>>> which the admin would appreciate because it would be a good
>>> partnership.

I would keep that trump as a last resort and begin by trying to make it
fun for the tech-team. I reckon they wouldn't want to allow an ubuntu
studio computer to log into their LAN. So, why not set-up a lan just for
the project? The students could use a bootable USB which is very much
like regular installation except it doesn't change anything to the
students computer. They could then collaboratively save their work on
the LAN you set up. A raspi with a wifi dongle would be enough for that,
and with a little luck, some of the tech-team actually have fun solving
this kind of technical challenges. :)

>>> Okay, just let me know what you need.

We need you to fulfill these steps:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuStudio/JoinTheTeam

In your case, you don't really need to install a development release,
since you will probably be more interested in documenting your process.
And for that we can offer you to use our wiki. All you need for that is
a launchpad account.

To allow your students to feedback and report bugs, they will also need
a launchpad account.

I hope i don't come of as discouraging. You can count on our technical
advising and knowledge base. I'm very interested in your initiative and
as it shows in this thread others are too. GNU/Linux is sometimes like
organized chaos, and while you can count on its powers, it requires you
to trust in your own. Or put in the words of Honore de Balzac:

“When you doubt your power, you give power to your doubt.”

You can do this! :)

--
Set Sakrecoer

--