Just to be clear this would not obsolete any machines (at least not
yet).  You could still install Lubuntu/Xubuntu and then run Audacity*.
And of course upgrades would still work.

Many of the packages included in Ubuntu Studio do require a certain
amount of power to work well.  Obviously there will still be some
machines that could run it well that are only 32-bit.

A third option to consider would be to somehow promote the 64-bit
image more (or slightly hide the 32-bit image).   We do believe there
is a significant number of people that could use the 64-bit version
but don't know and end up picking the 32-bit one.

* My albeit 2 year old experience with Audacity was that I found it
slow on my older hardware at the time.