On Sat, 18 Feb 2017, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

On 17 Feb 2017, at 21:52, Len Ovens <l...@ovenwerks.net> wrote:

One more thing about -controls. I would like to remove the dependency on jackd
some time (maybe next cycle) as there are getting to be more proaudio
applications that do not need jack (Ardour for one) but still need the realtime
and memory lock access that -controls provides. We do install jackd by default,
but people installing studio metas with another DE need these

Hi,

Ardour without jack doesn't work with all sound cards. The RME HDSPe AIO Is one
of those sound cards. Robin explained the reason for this on the Ardour list or
on LAU. IOW  if you want to be sure that Ardour works, you need jack, since
Ardour's ALSA abilities are limited.

No worries, we are not dropping jack. There are other problems with dropping jack, like the new batch of USB mics.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net