On Sun, 23 Sep 2018 21:33:47 -0700, Hank Stanglow wrote:
>Almost half the software I use for multimedia comes containerized
>rather than from a traditional repository model -- that goes for an
>Ardour subscription as well.

If Ardour should be installed to e.g. /opt and use static, instead of
shared libraries, it's not a container.

>And there is also the WINE effect. It works really well these days. In
>a lot of cases you can get a Windows "hassle free" audio experience in
>a Linux OS, and you don't need a custom distribution for WINE.

I'm using wine-staging for gr-55_floorboard, since the Linux version is
unusable.

[weremouse@moonstudio ~]$ cat
/mnt/archlinux/usr/local/bin/gr-55_floorboard_wine
#!/bin/dash
wine '/home/rocketmouse/.wine/drive_c/Program Files
(x86)/GR-55FloorBoard/GR-55FloorBoard.exe' &
exit

However, this can't be compared with snaps. Btw. wine allows to install
the same software to one path by another, which could be useful for
troubleshooting.

I can't see how wine is related to snappy and Co., were not only
pro-audio is quasi unusable, but even a MUA such as Evolution only
works with crippled functionality, due to security restrictions, caused
by the container approach.