Hi Erich,

On 1/1/19 7:39 PM, Erich Eickmeyer wrote:
> Hi everyone!
>
> I hope everyone is having a happy new year. I haven't been checking-in
> lately due to a number of things going on in my life. First, it was work
> getting busy, then it was a bit of depression onset by my resigning said
> position (they pretty much promised me that I wouldn't ever have room
> for advancement or promotion, or even being full-time).

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I hope the new year brings a better
work situation for you.

> With that, I thought I'd check-in to see where everyone is with their
> current projects. I, for one, have started-in on ubuntustudio-installer.
> I have moved it from bzr to git, and I'm going to be working on adding a
> few entries that will enable it to be used on other flavors for
> installation of Ubuntu Studio-specific items, namely the swappiness and
> lowlatency kernel default selection in GRUB. I already split-out the
> parts of ubuntustudio-default-settings to become their own sub-packages,
> so it should be relatively trivial. This should complete the goal of
> allowing other flavors to install the benefits of Ubuntu Studio while
> still keeping their chosen Desktop Environment.

I you need a review of any of these packages before chasing a sponsor,
let me know. If we can minimise the work the sponsors have to do, they
are more likely to look at your packages than somebody else's!

> == Vision for a Beautiful Experience ==
>
> As many of you know, I also forked Ubuntu MATE's GRUB theme to our own.
> I contacted Simon Quigley to get it into Universe (would be my first
> full package! \o/), so hopefully that will happen. He's got his hands
> full with Lubuntu, so we'll see.

Congrats. It would be great to have an extra hand doing this packaging
stuff :-)

> My thought behind theming GRUB is this: Ubuntu Studio is intended for
> artists of all kinds, and as such should provide a beautiful experience.
> I will concede that the notion of beauty is subjective. For this reason,
> I'm going to also look into the LightDM theme and see if there's
> anything we can learn from other flavors. Right now, Ubuntu MATE
> provides a nice LightDM theme, which I will explore forking into our own.
>
> The other thing, which I believe Thomas was working on, was changing our
> Plymouth boot theme. I'll admit, Plymouth quite over my head. Thomas,
> have you made any progress on this?
>
> == Calf & LMMS ==
>
> Specifically, this goes out to Ross (with a little slice of Len on the
> side): We obviously had to remove LMMS for its dependency on
> calf-ladspa. That said, I have found out that calf-ladspa is a
> subpackage of LMMS and should never have been split-out in upstream
> Debian, that the calf-ladspa plugins are included with LMMS but were
> never intended to 1) be split-out, and 2) be enacted as a dependency.
> This seems like something that could be trivial to fix in the
> debian/control file for the lmms package. I'm wondering, Ross, if you
> could look into this? Here's a link to a thread for more context:
> https://github.com/calf-studio-gear/calf/issues/134

I looked at this a while back. Unfortunately, lmms is not maintained in
the Debian Multimedia Team, so getting it updated is not as easy. but I
will give it ago.

> Well, that's what I've got this time. Would love to hear back from everyone!
>
> Erich

I have not given up on applying for some upload rights in Ubuntu (again)
sometime this year, so I have been doing a few merges from Debian to
keep the statistics up (they needed to see more sustained activity from
me last time).

Recent sponsored uploads:
1. Qjackctl
2. Blends (needed for debian-multimedia)

Waiting sponsorship:
1. debian-multmedia (multimedia-puredata is used in our audio seed to
pick up all the latest puredata stuff).
I will ping a sponsor soon, now that the holiday season is over.

If you notice any other packages out of date compared to Debian (or
upstream), then let me know.

Cheers,

Ross