Hi everyone!

I hope everyone is having a happy new year. I haven't been checking-in
lately due to a number of things going on in my life. First, it was work
getting busy, then it was a bit of depression onset by my resigning said
position (they pretty much promised me that I wouldn't ever have room
for advancement or promotion, or even being full-time).

With that, I thought I'd check-in to see where everyone is with their
current projects. I, for one, have started-in on ubuntustudio-installer.
I have moved it from bzr to git, and I'm going to be working on adding a
few entries that will enable it to be used on other flavors for
installation of Ubuntu Studio-specific items, namely the swappiness and
lowlatency kernel default selection in GRUB. I already split-out the
parts of ubuntustudio-default-settings to become their own sub-packages,
so it should be relatively trivial. This should complete the goal of
allowing other flavors to install the benefits of Ubuntu Studio while
still keeping their chosen Desktop Environment.

== Vision for a Beautiful Experience ==

As many of you know, I also forked Ubuntu MATE's GRUB theme to our own.
I contacted Simon Quigley to get it into Universe (would be my first
full package! \o/), so hopefully that will happen. He's got his hands
full with Lubuntu, so we'll see.

My thought behind theming GRUB is this: Ubuntu Studio is intended for
artists of all kinds, and as such should provide a beautiful experience.
I will concede that the notion of beauty is subjective. For this reason,
I'm going to also look into the LightDM theme and see if there's
anything we can learn from other flavors. Right now, Ubuntu MATE
provides a nice LightDM theme, which I will explore forking into our own.

The other thing, which I believe Thomas was working on, was changing our
Plymouth boot theme. I'll admit, Plymouth quite over my head. Thomas,
have you made any progress on this?

== Calf & LMMS ==

Specifically, this goes out to Ross (with a little slice of Len on the
side): We obviously had to remove LMMS for its dependency on
calf-ladspa. That said, I have found out that calf-ladspa is a
subpackage of LMMS and should never have been split-out in upstream
Debian, that the calf-ladspa plugins are included with LMMS but were
never intended to 1) be split-out, and 2) be enacted as a dependency.
This seems like something that could be trivial to fix in the
debian/control file for the lmms package. I'm wondering, Ross, if you
could look into this? Here's a link to a thread for more context:
https://github.com/calf-studio-gear/calf/issues/134

Well, that's what I've got this time. Would love to hear back from everyone!

Erich