On 2/2/19 11:23 PM, Len Ovens wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Feb 2019, Ross Gammon wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> The problem with the calf plugin is fixed in Debian! lmms now only
>> recommends calf-ladspa or whatever it was called, instead of Depending
>> on it, which was wrong!
>
> So, does LMMS actually work without the calf LV1 package? As in can the
> user do what they expect to be able to do?
>  If the user has a project that includes the calf plugins, I would
> assume that project will now be broken and to fix it they will want to
> install the calf LV1 package, What packages will have to be removed (or
> will be autoremoved) for that package to install and what other
> Applications will be broken by this?
>

> --
> Len Ovens
> www.ovenwerks.net

As far as I know, you can use lmms without any plugins (not tested).
That would be the normal setup for any application. There was no
argument suggesting otherwise on the Debian bugs.

If they need calf-ladspa, then when they install it they will have to
remove calf-plugins, because the two packages conflict with each other.
We might need to blacklist calf-ladspa in our seeds.

I have not had time to investigate, but I read in one thread that
upstream had already renamed their internal copy of calf to veal. That
would probably make the problem of other tools (e.g. ardour) picking up
the old calf plugin and crashing go away. In any case the long term
solution should be to drop the "public" plugin package and keep it
private to lmms. But we needed a fast fix because Debian is going into a
release freeze.

Ross