On Wednesday, March 23, 2022 11:56:30 PM PDT Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 23, 2022 at 10:28:06PM -0700, Erich Eickmeyer wrote:

> If this is all because of the 'OVERSIZED' warning, I've addressed that on
> IRC.  The header on https://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntustudio/dvd/current/
> explains further:
>
>   Warning: This image is oversized (which is a bug) and will not fit onto a
>   single-sided single-layer DVD.  However, you may still test it using a
>   larger USB drive or a virtual machine.
>
> If Ubuntu Studio decide they don't care about the image fitting on a DVD, we
> can simply raise the size limit.  But in that case, I don't think we should
> call the image build itself a 'dvd' any more; and I also think that in
> short order (but not necessarily for 22.04) we should stop building this as
> a hybrid image since it's no longer practical to use it on optical media.
> If it's going to only be usable on a USB stick, then let's fix how we build
> it and avoid all the indirection that exists ONLY so that it can be used on
> optical media.

We have discussed going with the USB stick route. However, what spurred this
is because not only the OVERSIZED warning, but also because the images are
merely copies of the 20220322 image and are not updating upon build. I thought
this was due to the oversize warning. Either way, this is very concerning as
we can't correctly test the builds due to a resolved bug involving automount
conflicting with Calamares.

> > HOWEVER, and this is why I'm CCing the Release Team and ubuntu-devel@,
> > there is another ISO format that works for DVD: ISO 13346, aka UDF.  This
> > allows for a virtually unlimited filesize, although I've seen anecdotal
> > mentions of 1024GB (1TB).  This would be preferable, and on behalf of
> > Ubuntu Studio, we request this switch if able, or even an alternative.  I
> > realize this is short notice prior to beta,
>
> I've established that it's not actually necessary here, but for the record
> it would be completely impossible to make that switch in time for beta.  We
> have never built a UDF-format image, none of the tools are installed on the
> image build server to support this format, we have certainly never done a
> hybrid image with UDF (which means the easiest implementation would be a
> *non*-hybrid image, so if it's not a hybrid image why not just do a USB
> image instead? see above), and various parts of our installer-specific
> initramfs code assumes iso9660.

Fair. I honestly didn't expect that, but it was a thought.

> > It seems that Ubuntu Kylin shares our plight.
>
> The only shared plight is that both flavors currently have images that are
> oversized for the limits that have been declared in the code...

Again, fair.

--
Erich Eickmeyer
Project Leader - Ubuntu Studio