On Thursday, March 24, 2022 1:18:27 PM PDT Len Ovens wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Mar 2022, Erich Eickmeyer wrote:
> >> If it's going to only be usable on a USB stick, then let's fix how we
> >> build
> >> it and avoid all the indirection that exists ONLY so that it can be used
> >> on
> >> optical media.
>
> As 32bit systems are no longer supported anyway, I am not sure there are
> any 64bit systems that can not load from a USB stick. The only reason I
> have a DVD player/writer is because I have a PCIe PATA card and the DVD is
> used for playing media just because of the pain in find blank DVD/CDs and
> formating data to put it on there in the first place is also a pain. The
> new full size case my son bought doesn't even have a cd/dvd bay.
>
> So anyway, A bootable USB install media format limited only by the USB
> stick size makes sense to me too. The only problem I see with that (I
> really don't know if it would even be a problem) is, would current
> windows/mac based USB stick writing tools still be able to create a
> bootable USB stick? I am assuming dd would still be able to write the
> whole image to the stick. I more advanced utility could format the whole
> stick, making it persistant too, though  making it persistant after the
> fact might be a better route. (I personally have no need for this but the
> question does pop up from time to time)
>
> Len

With that, we've got the two most active people working on Ubuntu Studio
(myself and Len) who are onboard with the USB media idea. USB media is much
cheaper than it used to be, and more readily available than DVD-/+Rs. I'm OK
with increasing the size. We'll edit the ubuntustudio.org website to specify
that they may want to use a USB stick.

Let's go with that, if you wouldn't mind, Steve. Thanks!

--
Erich Eickmeyer
Project Leader - Ubuntu Studio